Important safety precautions must be observed when handling cerebrospinal fluid.
The following guidelines apply:
- Semi-automatic micropipettes and disposable plastic chambers are the safest option for CSF testing. Many laboratories still use the hemacytometer with disposable pipets.
- If disposable materials are not used, soak contaminated reusable pipets, hemacytometer and coverslip in 70% alcohol or Wexide.
- All disposable items should be placed in a biohazard container for appropriate disposal.
- Wash hands thoroughly when the examination is completed.
- Spinal fluids which are to be discarded must be placed in biohazard containers for appropriate disposal.
Careful attention to specimen processing and handling will help ensure that accurate results are obtained.