Molecular Methods for HR-HPV Testing
The molecular methods currently used for HR-HPV testing include:
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
- PCR is the molecular biology technique used to type HPV. There are also PCR tests to detect HR-HPV DNA.
- In situ hybridization (ISH) and Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH)
- These methods use chromagens or fluorescence labeled probes to detect HR-HPV DNA in tissues or cells on planar surfaces.
- Digene High-Risk HPV Hybrid Capture (HC) 2 DNA
- Cervista HPV HR Screen and Cervista HPV 16/18
This study will discuss the last two methods. High-Risk HPV HC2 DNA and the Cervista HPV assays are FDA-approved for laboratory testing and are designed as molecular assays for the clinical laboratory. These two methods are most often assayed using the liquid cervical specimens collected during the Pap smear procedure.