The page below is a sample from the MediaLab course, Phlebotomy
Learn about Compliance & CE courses available for clinical laboratories
and individual medical technologists
What is a phlebotomist? [continued]
- An experienced phlebotomist should be knowledgeable in the collection of:
- Venous blood specimens
- Capillary blood specimens
- Blood culture specimens
- Urine specimens
- Throat cultures, and
- Medicolegal specimens requiring chain of custody.
- He or she may also need to know how to:
- Process specimens
- Perform point-of-care tests, and
- Collection specimens from IV lines and central venous lines, under appropriate supervision.